Sunday, May 10, 2009

39 weeks! Happy Mother's Day (just not for me, yet!)

For me, it's Mother-to-be Day. No real contractions. Phooey. Just uterine irritability and Braxton-Hicks contractions. Oh, and lots and lots of bladder pressure. I caved and bought a maternity support belt to elevate her off my bladder. It helps immensely. I was a little worried that perhaps it would act like a speedbump and prevent her from descending properly, but Aaron assured me that if anything, it would help guide her into my pelvis, versus forward against my pubic bone (a definite speedbump).

At 39 weeks, she's continuing to build up her fat layer to help control her body temperature after birth. She's about the size of a small watermelon (as if you couldn't tell from the size and shape of my belly). I'm guessing she's a bit over 7 pounds. Her outer layers of skin are starting to slough off as new skin forms underneath. I was pondering whose jaw she'll have...Aaron has always referred to my strong, square jaw as the "pit viper jaw". I'm very excited to study her different features and whom she inherited them from!

So I guess I won't get my Mother's Day baby. Unless something really starts happening this afternoon. As a first time mom, I won't get my hopes up for anything happening quickly in the birthing process. (But a girl can always dream, right? Heehee)

On a positive note, my hands, although still numb at the fingertips, have not been as painful as in weeks past. They're still swollen, and get ouchy when I hold a knife and fork to eat, but I haven't woken up with the burning, hands-on-fire sensation in a week! I've swapped one pain for another, it seems.

My Mom ("Mama Nurse") arrives this wednesday, right when the American Idol results show starts. I told her if Aaron picks her up at the airport, then she'll know that we'll be watching the show in the hospital! It's funny, it's like every time somebody sees me, they get this look of relief...like "oh phew, I'm glad I wasn't kept out of the loop, she hasn't delivered yet after all." Which is then usually followed by the following: "Why haven't you had that baby yet?!"

Arg.

Signing off for now. I'll keep you posted.

1 comment:

  1. funny, every time I check this I find that I am holding my breath.
    Love you Aymes...

    ReplyDelete